Minutes: February 22nd, 2005

    The regular meeting of the Catawba Island Township Trustees was held February 22, 2005 in the conference room with all present; also present Pat Cerny, James Stouffer and Ann Rumpf.

     Chairman William Rofkar called the meeting to order.  A motion was made by Robert Schroeder to approve the minutes of the February 8, 2005 meeting and seconded by Gary Mortus. All voted aye. A motion was made by Gary Mortus and seconded by Robert Schroeder to pay the bills in the amount of $45,192.92.  All voted aye.

2917 Gary Mortus $49.00
2918 Anthem Blue Cross & Blue Shield 12795.66
2919 Anthem Life Insurance Co. 612.88
2920 Ottawa County Auditor 5000.00
2921 Ottawa County Drug Task Force 2000.00
2922 Humane Society of Ottawa County 500.00
2923 F.S.I. Disposal 162.26
2924 The SanBay Company 74.00
2925 Lakecraft Corporation 63.50
2926 Staples Credit Plan 179.49
2927 O.E. Meyer Company 87.25
2928 Verizon North 550.23

    Correspondence included Nextel Communications in regard to the proposed merger of Nextel and Sprint, Firelands Regional Medical Center, Tina Drake Coordinator, with information regarding random drug/alcohol program.  Bill Rofkar stated snowplow drivers will be added in the fall.  Solid Waste Manage-

Ment in regard to Yard Waste and Leaf Management Survey, RD Zande & Associates thanking Trustees for visiting them at the Convention, invitation to NOMMA 2005 annual meeting on Wednesday, March 14,2005 and Heckman Sales & Leasing regarding safety training.

     Mr. Stouffer stated the P.U.D. in the center of the Island has come together with documentations and revisions being presented and all issues have been addressed.  Pat Cerny stated the plans were delivered and the Trustees will sign tonight if they agree.  Mr. Stouffer stated they had a conversation with Mr. Brunkhorst regarding the underpass with two options.  One is at the corner of Beach Club Road and North-

West Catawba Road and the other one is about  one hundred yards south where the road starts to dip down and they are leaning towards that location because it is safer.  Eventually a presentation will be made to the Township to incorporate a public pathway as part of the landscape design plan.  The underpass needs to be accessible by the public and the golfers.  In the future they would be open to the County and  Township in regard to improving the corner.  They will check with maintenance in regard to plowing and make sure that nothing will compromise what the Township wants.  One other item Mr. Stouffer is looking into working with the engineers  to change the rise as you come up to Beach Club Road to create a situation that by raising the road slightly, those at the intersection would see the cars at a greater length of time.  This would not be done until the end of this year or January 2006 to allow for comments and to make sure it all works out.

      Robert  Schroeder stated he has had complaints about the condition of Muggy Road.  He checked to see if weight limits could be put on the road but Mr. Brunkhorst said you cannot stop anyone from having access to their work.  Mr. Brunkhorst stated the best thing to do is to let it go.  Gary Mortus stated part of the problem is by Beckman’s or Eberly’s property where the ditch is dug  too close to the road.  We may have to buy some of right-of-way.  Dave Brunkhorst also would like to know a time for him to meet with the Trustees  and 8:00 a.m. Wednesday can be met by all and he also needs a copy of the street light contract.  He has no record of it.  Next Monday the State will be here to inspect all vehicles.  Robert Schroeder stated if you see a marked police car, Ron Gecsi has one.  Ford is going to start building a cruiser completely equipped with a lap top computer in the front seat and extensive electronics.  Ron Gecsi’s company purchased one of these cars to use as a demo.  Sheriff Bob Bratton will be at our next meeting.

      Gary Mortus would like to invite Tom Bowlus, Project Planner from Poggemeyer Design Group, if there is no cost, to meet with the Trustees in regard to the Zoning Resolution.  Robert Schroeder stated if there is a minimum cost for transportation or any minimal cost, Gary should have the authority to use his descretion on a fee.  Gary stated if there is a cost he will call the other two Trustees.

       William Rofkar stated Dan Barlow received a quote on replacing the door between the front room of the Community Hall and the main room from JVS Garage Dorr Company for $1082.00.  Maintenance will cut the block and do the prepping, then JVS will install a steel door.  William Rofkar made a motion to have JVS provide us with a steel door as specified for $1082.00.  Gary Mortus seconded the motion.  All voted aye.  William Rofkar also stated maintenance is getting the pump on Northeast Catawba Road rebuilt.

      Gary Mortus made a motion to adjourn and Robert Schroeder seconded.  All voted aye.


For more information contact: Gary Mortus
Design & Maintenance by: 2010 Hosting by: CoastalWave.net